You’re not crazy. Apple is slowing down your older iPhone. (Apple Byte)

Apple comes clean after overwhelming evidence shows it’s throttling down the speed of older iPhones. But why? Here’s our reaction to Apple slowing down your iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, iPhone 6S and…

44 thoughts on “You’re not crazy. Apple is slowing down your older iPhone. (Apple Byte)

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

So what guys! Just upgrade and get a new device. People complain for older technology not working as good as when it was new. Obviously old tech won’t work well! Get over it and get a new one ASAP!

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

If android had its own version of imessage then itd be perfect

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

As I own a iPhone 6 Plus I will be not update because of this this will be my last update ever so I won’t risk paying more for a better experience

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

What is slowing down exactly? Are speeds being throttled or is the iPhone itself more likely to lag as a result of this Apple update? What's it like watching youtube videos? Do videos have to buffer for a while?

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Probably that is just why I never use Apple smartphone.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

OMG! Everytime brian did the air quotes my phone vibrated at exactly the same time.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

They should just have a power/performance saving settings its ridicously a big joke.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

I'd rather have a slower iPhone that is actually working than one that keeps shutting down. There's no noticeable change in performance with the software change. My iPhone 6S used to shut down on a daily basis after reaching anywhere from 30-60% charge. Now its working fine. Maybe Apple's lack of transparency to the fix was poor from a PR perspective but I'm just personally glad my phone still works and I don't have to dish out another $700 just yet.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

I'm just glad that the whole Apple vs. Android debate is finally over. Android is clearly better and don't take advantage of they're consumers. If your a victim of this scam, Just know that you deserve way better. We all work hard for our money. Don't continue to keep giving it to Apple. Steve Jobs is doing somersaults in his grave. Unbelievable.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

I own a 6 plus and can confirm it has bogged down considerably after update, I will probably go Android for next purchase. Sucks because it was a good device.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Its lies. It push people buying there newer devices even quicker than usual. Come on no other phone shuts down i have tons of phones samsung lg etc even people i know none of it shuts down only iphone does this. They create their own problems.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Lol. You guys are overblowing this. This happens to Macs to. And many other computers I know. It’s the ideal thing to do. And actually it shows in battery settings to change your battery just like it does on MacOS.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Don't like what I'm hearing?
     EP this video about getting 2 everything so on that end it'd AL

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

I call BS!!! They just do it to force people to upgrade!! I will no longer buy them!

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Automatic battery saving mode when the battery is low/old? Let's all start crying.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Arrrgh ,nooo wonder…… and now my aguement with my wife is a proven fact

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Never knew this but after 4 years on apply I switched to android this year & couldn't be happier after my iPhone 6 slowed down

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Trying to avoid lawsuit so they came up with a reason! If not it should say do you wish to slow down your phone to save battery yes/no?

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Gosh… As a Apple person this really is a jab to the heart… This is a bit much…

iPhone 7 Plus might be the last iPhone for me…

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Solution? Phones should have replaceable batteries, to begin with like the old days. Well, at least android used to have it.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

I have to say I am indifferent about 99% of youtube personalities. Most of them really aren't that great but Brian time after time stands out to me. I think in this regard the subject matter that he covers is irrelevant but rather it is his clear passion and I think it is why he consistently stands out to me. He clearly cares incredibly deeply about apple and the products they release. He is quick to praise them when they do well but will be the first to criticize them whenever they fall short of their ideals. Brian is unique in this manner. There are a lot of "critics" out there that will whole sale tout how great the features that apple is marketing or is critical of the short comings of the technology. What I love about Brian's criticisms are that they look past most of the technological short comings and cut deeper to the choices apple makes or their inability to execute within the reasonable limits of the technology. Keep up the incredible work! Oh except for anytime you wear or wig or are singing… for real that's gotta go! I SAID IT!

With all this being said I think this is why "Googlicious" is doomed to fail. I don't feel Brian's heart is in it like this show and it comes across in the content. Find someone passionate about that and have Brian focus deeper on what he is good at (apple). In light of Apple's single worst software update here is my question to Brian: What would it take to get you to switch to an Android or better yet a pixel? Moving past the obvious Apple will never be the same with Steve convo lets get real. Apple has been slipping and we all know it. Compounded with that it looks like they could continue to be a lagger in the AI space moving into the future which will play a larger and larger role in our devices. I do think this is coming from short term anger rather than a realistic question but I still want to get Brian's thoughts!

Thanks,
    Brendan

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Well done sir by telling the People that apple are not slowing down the phone for consumers benefits but for themselves.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Where are all you dorks that were losing your shit about NetNeutrality? That’s what we thought. Nowhere.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

I just don’t understand people who don’t understand that rechargeable batteries degrade after time. Like all rechargeable batteries the performance lowers with time. Car batteries, laptops, remote controlls, torches just to name a few. It’s only really noticeable with your phone because you are using every day. Apple show on there Website that After 500 charges the iPhone should have around 80% capacity. Which means after that time you might want to consider changing the battery so that it runs like on day one. I don’t think Apple was hiding anything. But if you have to explain chemistry to people who don’t fully understand how battery’s works, then obviously you’re going to see negative responses from other users. Apple are doing us a favor by reducing the performance and prolonging the phone usage so that you don’t have to buy a new battery every couple of years. I do believe that if people understand how lithium batteries work and how hot and cold temperatures affect the lifespan of lithium batteries, then people would understand why Apple reduce the performance of older iPhones. Also a side note to factor in, new iOS and applications that come out also require more power than older applications and iOS. I hope this helps.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Here's the thing it costs very little to replace the battery in an iPhone so why throttle the processor – I'm calling bs on their explanation what they were really doing is forcing people to upgrade..

• December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

I love apple, but I want someone to sue them and make them remove this ‘feature’.. now happy my old iphones should be slowed down for an issue I don’t care about.